Thursday, February 17, 2011

Ancestral Information

What have we done with my DNA?

We have sent my data to Dr. Doug McDonald We have submitted my Y-Chromosome information to Adriano Squecco and David F Reynolds' Y-Chromosome Genome Comparison project . I am also in Leon Kull's HIR Search listed as Robert F Evans.

If you have any questions or match me at HIR Search or 23andMe, feel free to email my son with any questions. You can find his email in the "about me" link on the right side of this page. Below are several tools from 23andMe that display ancestral information about me.

Global Similarity


Here is my "Global Similarity" provided by 23andMe.  I'm closest to English, French, and German.





Ancestry Painting

Here is a high level "painting" of my chromosomes. They only use three populations in this tool and it's pretty conservative. My results were 100% Europe.



Ancestry Finder

Ancestry Finder allows you to see where some of the people that match your chromosomes are from. Of course you have to complete the survey to have your data included, and many have not done this or any of the surveys. Since 23andMe have a large user base in the United States, many of my matches are here. Next highest are the United Kingdom. This isn't surprising to me considering my known genealogy.

23andMe describes the tool by saying "Let the 23andMe Community help you discover what countries your ancestors might have lived in. This lab is fueled by your responses to the "Where Are You From?" ancestry survey."



Dr. Doug McDonald

I sent my data to J.Doug McDonald, Professor of Chemistry at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. His current research interests include studies of the folding of single protein molecules. He is the Assistant Administrator and Data Custodian of the Clan Donald DNA Project. Dr. McDonald uses a higher resolution process so you can find things that the 23andMe tool might miss.
He has been accepting data and running reports for DNA hobbyists like myself for the last few years. Dr. McDonald's analyses of my DNA was as follows:

"You test as most probably 100% Orkney. The spot on the map is Rochdale, west central England. The chromosomes agree too that you are essentially 100% Euro." - Doug McDonald



A small amount of Native American and African






No comments:

Post a Comment