Thursday, February 17, 2011

Evans of Wales

I am looking for an Evans match.  My great grandfather, Thomas Reese (Reece)(Rhys) Evans, came to America from Merthyr Tydfil Wales about 1860, and did some coal prospecting in Pennsylvania before moving to Birmingham, Alabama.

Merthyr Tydfil Wales

There he met my great grandmother, Katherine Sharitt (Sharit Cemetery in Tarrant City, Alabama). My cousin, James Robert Evans began the genealogy search about thirty years ago at the Birmingham Public Library using census tapes. He traced our Grandmother's line (Gossett, Bibb, etc) back several generations. We can not get past our great grandfather. Family legend is that our great grandfather had two siblings. Their parents divorced in Merthyr Tydfil.  One brother went to Canada, one went to Australia, and Thomas Reese came to America. He had one son, Thomas James, my grandfather, who had my dad, John R. Evans, my uncle, James Reese , and my aunt, Anna Katherine.



         
My brothers Benny, Barry, and myself are the only three males of our generation from our great grand father's migration to America.

No comments:

Post a Comment